Friday, June 14, 2024

The Fishers...Mary & M.F.K.

All I could remember was her last name. I thought her first name was Mary, so I googled Mary Fisher. And Mary Fisher I got. Unsure of who she was/is, I started reading...and soon went to hear her speech at the 1992 Republican Convention. 




Scroll down to read her essay titled Returning to the Ashes, wrotten 23.September.2023.





It was MFK Fisher I sought. She identified as a travel writer, but was, inexorably, tagged a food-writer. Though somewhat reluctant to juxtapose these two, I like to think both would appreciate being found, regardless of how. MFK died two months before Mary gave here speech.

Mary Frances Kennedy Fisher Parrish Friede


Photos were unattributed. Please contact me if you know who took them.

The Art of Eating is about MFK's return to a restaurant where she knew the waiter. What she didn't know was that, earlier in the day, he'd been fired. 

Charles, in his kind way has gone into the vaults and retrieved a marc of incomparable quality and MFK and her friend are enjoying it. This is a story about life...it's pleasures and its sorrows. The pleasures of the table are an integral part, but what MFK really writes about is people and places. 




On their way out she and her companion talk with the owner who tells her of Charles's dismissal. 


"...and a stiff ugly bouquet and two purplish rosebuds and a twig of cypress stood by them."










No comments:

Post a Comment