For about 15 years Michelle sat in here painting cat and dog images on ceramic mugs, plates, bowls and treat jars that she made in molds and fired in a large kiln.
She stopped around 2015 when her mom, Susan Cook, died. Now that my day-trading is paying off, i'm interested in having a place to analyze my trades and chart patterns. Susan's desk, with the two lamps (see video) will work.
Michelle did a great job of clearing the areas around the windows so they can be replaced.
See description in video


Interesting detail I couldn't help but notice. First video frame, the dark (brown?) tile to the left of the red rug. That tile, often called "VA tile" is asbestos based. "VA" because soldiers returning from the war got home loans at that time, when homes were built that way. Don't know exactly, guessing, house maybe built around 1954?
ReplyDeleteGood eye, Anon!! The house is circa '62, but we believe that is the notorious tile. What diseases are attributed to it?
ReplyDeleteSo far we've only had a single instance of CLL, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, and it was successfully treated. The tile was carpeted over for most of its life then the majority was removed prior to installing faux wood flooring. Remaining remnants are respected, but not greatly feared...perhaps to our detriment.
I did some plaintiff and defense work for asbestos manufacturers. It's bad stuff, but the primary danger is when the fibers get into the air. The removal, if not done properly, was the danger zone. I don't think the remaining tile is going to be what kills you.
ReplyDeleteJohn,
DeleteIt's 4:20 p.m. Monday afternoon and Jessica, my nurse, left a little while ago. She's been working hospice for more than 12 years and seems to think I have some time ahead. She pointed out I've found a sweet spot with the meds that is controlling the angina. That's apparently a major accomplishment. I'm going forward as if I DO have time, but my next blogpost is, again, about the existential dilemma.
" the majority was removed prior to installing faux wood flooring" Agree with John. It's the airborne particles that I think lodge themselves into your lungs. Of course, if it's airborne, gotta watch how/where it settles! But everyone is in the same boat. I know a lot of people just scraped it up without any protective equipment whatsoever. I know people who died of mesothelioma.
ReplyDeleteAnon,
DeleteI don't know when or how the removal was done, I was away, traveling. My guess is no one gave it any thought. Michelle and her brother were likely exposed. I'll mention it to them and see if there's anything to be done.
Thanks for the hedz-up.