Monday, September 30, 2024

Cicada

Perhaps it was because I was small, but maybe they were really that much larger. Memory has them at around two inches. Their buzzing fascinated and early on became the marker of the arrival of summer.


As I sat on the veranda wondering in my deafness if they were still going on, I saw the carapace outlined against the sky. 

Meaning to add it to my display case, lost the thought before I could act. When do we recognize dementia? 

It was still there a few days later and Michelle retreived it. And she knew where to place it. 

2 comments:

  1. When I lived in Prescott Arizona in 2015 there were thousands of them in the trees. I have misophonia. The sound was deafening. I've never in my life seen so many of them. It was like a nightmare because you couldn't escape the awful noise. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've probably heard they (supposedly) occur in 17-year cycles. As a child in Japan I was entralled.

      Delete